Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A darker side of epilepsy



SUDEP:

Sudden 
Unexpected
Death in
Epilepsy

Local involvement 
with the local epilepsy society
brought me unwelcome awareness.

Going blithely along my way,
unaware of SUDEP and then,
finding out about it was rather unsettling.

Another one for the researchers ~
SUDEP's 'exact mechanism' is unknown.
    
Giant phrases like ~
insufficient brainstem serotonergic activity or
peri-ictal cardio-respiratory dysfunction ~ 
both prime suspects in this unsolved case.

In general if epilepsy is 
more severe
less controlled
the risk is greater.

I have lived my live to honour my mother,
who died far too young and far too tragically.
I didn't know that as I was changing 
the way I lived my life ~ epilepsy management ~
that it would truly save my own.

Once more I am grateful ~
this time for today, and 
the many days I have behind me.

SUDEP is most often unwitnessed.
I think of my gentle brother who died alone.
Would he still be alive today if...?
     
“I've never sung anything 
I wasn't ready to sing.” 
- Claudia Schmidt

No comments: