Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I call them 'my jumps'



I'm certain there is 
some kind of clinical name
But I just call them 'my jumps'.

The first was when I dropped 
my hairbrush at age 12.

There must have been a lapse
of consciousness as I really 
don't remember dropping the brush, only that it was suddenly on the floor.

These 'jumps' have provided some rather humourous, and some exasperating, situations!

One such 'jump' involved powdered milk....
Measuring out ingredients called for in a recipe, 
dry powdered milk filled a cup measure.
Suddenly I was covered in powdered milk 
as though I had stepped out in a very dry snow storm

Each 'jump' has involved my right arm flinging itself into the air.
Whatever I'm holding gets dropped or flung away.
I have broken china, dropped raw eggs, my garden fork, 
and worst of all, lost an entire freshly made cup of coffee to the kitchen floor.

A 'jump' can also be in the form of my knees buckling 
causing me to lose my footing and almost fall.
I have dropped straight down - and like a ball - 
bounced right back up.

These 'jumps' all happen in the early morning
when I have not kept myself sufficiently rested over a couple of days.
Thus I have learned to give myself
lots of time to slowly wake up.
And on my first day off after a couple of long shifts
I sleep in - or at least try to.
No early morning appointments for me!

To avoid another coffee mishap, 
I do make my coffee or tea, doctor it and
then head back to bed with a book for an hour

I have learned that they may or may not be
a precursor to a tonic/clonic (grandmal) seizure.

Many have heard me boast quite proudly of being seizure free
For some odd reason, in my head, these 'jumps' do not count.
I am always referring to being free of the 
grandmal - the tonic/clonic - seizures.

I still very occasionally have one of 'my jumps'
Before I am out of my pj's
and while I am still sleepy
Flags to my day that say:
"slow down and breathe"
"get centered and calm",
"this morning you need more time",
"do a longer, slower yoga routine"
Just little tricks so I can enjoy the day that stretches ahead of me.

"If you realize you aren't so wise today as 
you were yesterday, you're wiser today."
 ~ Olin Miller

Authors note on Nov.12, 23: I have since learned that these 'jumps' may be juvenile myoclonic seizures. 

No comments: