Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Spaces

Wide open sky
Valleys and plains
Oceans and lakes

Between fence boards
wrapped with ivy
green grass on the other side.

Between appointments to 
clean my teeth
get my hair done

Between
events at work
phone ringing
tasks to be done

Gaps of time 
great
small or
in between

like spaces between 
words in a sentence
notes of music in a score

Filling silent spaces with 
more appointments
more words
more sound

brings exhaustion from 
frantic busyness
speaking fast, breathlessly
white noise

Fill them with
reading a book
taking a snooze
a stroll in sun or rain

or just listening to the 
sound of myself
sounds of others

In the spaces between
words
actions
music
hurt
joy
there is much to learn.

"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."
~ Blaise Pascal

2 comments:

Janet said...

Beautiful play of fence and shadows. Where did you find the interesting Blaise Pascal quotation?

Susan Ward said...

This is an incredibly late reply!! Just going through my comments and found this.
I suspect I found this Blaise Pascal quotation on the Goodreads site - or possibly Thinkexist. These are the places I find most of my quotations. So sorry it took so long for me to reply!