Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Unwelcome Voices

Voices in my head.
Voices that pass judgement 
on me and my actions.

Voices which criticize
their sting unmistakable -
attached to old memories.

Old tapes play 
like stuck records.
Are they 78's or 45's?

If a calmer, gentler voice should prevail
why do I 
ignore it,
minimize it,
push it aside?
Does that voice not 
deserve my attention,
have a solution?

A new thought strikes a trembling chord:
I have given all of my own thoughts 
names
dates
places
with space in my head.
No charge except to me.

I’ll send all the names back 
to their original memories
collecting their cards of judgment
for review.

I’ll see if I am telling myself the truth
by keeping these named cards, or
if I have tarnished memories 
because of one or two remote events.

“We do not remember days, we remember moments. The
richness of life lies in memories we have forgotten.”
~ Cesare Pavese

No comments: