Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Finding Stillness Once More


One early morning
an anxious dream woke me
clumping thoughts of 
how much 
how many

If only it were gardening
one seed at a time
one bulb at a time
one weed at a time,
one corner of the yard at a time
grand outcomes imagined
scheduled timing,
commitments or image
all put aside

how quickly stillness darkens again with worry
temptation to reshape drifts of fallen leaves into sodden wet piles
quickly deterred by the promise of damp cold,
A drier warmer shelter makes my tasks almost attractive
So I begin to putter - 
one item at a time
my hands busy with 
reshaping the drifts of my life into clean, fresh order.

My tasks disappeared more quickly and painlessly 
than my muddled self thought, 
leaving time for errands out in a world decorating 
itself in Christmas and holiday flamboyance.

As I walked from bank to store to shop
I felt stillness had returned ~
noise of traffic and busyness of streets surrounded
rather than invaded my hurry to get things done.

“Adopting the right attitude can convert 
a negative stress into a positve one.”
~ Hans Selye

No comments: