Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Drawing upon Metaphor

story: “The stone rose up in the road as if planted there. Striding confidently forward, eyes ahead, not watching where I was going, I stepped hard on it, rolled forward and fell forward onto the ground my face planted in the dirt. What use was there in getting up and going on if a little stone could knock me off of my feet? And right before my eyes, the stone grew larger and larger until it blocked out all light on the journey ahead. I blinked, shook my head and the huge boulder that had expanded before my very eyes was gone. Only the walnut sized stone was there, kicked away where my foot had sent it.”

I could say that this was a dream, but my dreams are usually much more bizarre than that. And it wasn’t reality either. But it is like self doubt. Confidence in direction and abilities get shunted aside when I allow a sudden dip in a moment in time to act like that stone in the road.

“Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space.
~ Orson Scott Card, Alvin Journeyman

No comments: