Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Alert!! Sales, Scam or Both!

This blog post is a scathing review of midnight scammers presenting themselves as legitimate salesmen and taking advantage of the vulnerabilities of any ‘customers’ they troll for in the night. And these midnight scammer’s are not concerned with your state of mind, health, wealth or anything else. They are just out to make a buck - or as many bucks as possible. I  admit my own responsibility in the events of Saturday night. After a long and enjoyable day, of travel, dinner and a movie I went to bed. But before turning out the light, I prepared my blog post. Wrote it, had the photo lined up and had just gone online opening Facebook, my Standing Still Slowly page and then GoodReads to find a quotation that fit my blog. Just as I had GoodReads open, a full page pop-up replaced it with a second strip of pop-up over it telling me that my computer had been identified as having a breach. And further that I was not to shut my computer down, that if I did, all my data may be lost. My first reaction was in fact to shut my computer down, data be dammed. I was so focussed was on completing my blog post, tired or not, I opened it again with the same results.  

I have long been aware of some guidelines about protecting yourself against these companies and the individuals that run them.  They are:
  1. Don’t believe pop-ups that tell you your security has been breached - contact the appropriate company in the morning when your head is clear.
  2. Just because the pop-up, uses the word Apple (or Microsoft) several times, close your computer and call in the morning when your head is clear.
  3. If you should call as I did, listen carefully to:
    1. Your gut feelings that say ‘ this is all wrong’
    2. The words of your friends ringing loud and clear in your head that say ‘don’t answer that’
    3. The attitude and manner of ‘service’ that is being offered.
    4. Anything that does not ring true to you.
  4. And above all do not give out your credit card number, even if only to print it on a screen.
  5. Learn to be aware of the times you are most vulnerable - when your soft underbelly is exposed.
But even if you still buy into what is happening, shut down your computer which is what I did do after more than two hours. Fortunately this was merely a pretty successful attempt to make a couple of hundred dollars from this unknown company across the continent.  Unfortunately, my self confidence was completely shattered. Thank heavens for my sons, Jeff and Jason. They saved my sanity with all that they did, said and recommended.

p.s.  After changing many passwords and speaking with the bank, over the last few days, the same pop-up presented itself last night.  Again after I had GoodReads open. GoodReads is a source I have used for several years now, and will continue. I checked my security related to Goodreads and there was a tiny gate open.  Just enough….. So I have closed that gate. (This time I didn’t bite...just so you know.)

“Everyone is selling something, if you can’t see
 what people are selling, maybe you’re the cart.”
Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel

No comments: