Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Vancouver Art Gallery - Mashup: The Birth of Modern Culture

Top half of the Andy Warhol painting on display
This exhibition that began February 20 and continues to June 12, 2016 was fascinating.  From Pablo Picasso and Quentin Tarentino to Jean-Luc Goddard and Joyce Weiland four floors of the mashup of art forms were displayed. There were some that were interactive, some that filled every inch of wall, ceiling and floor space. I especially loved the TV footage of the telephone from clips from movies. These clips, from many movies of yesteryear, demonstrated the part the telephone played in the ambience and character of a movie. All of these mashups of  substance, mixed media, and sound demonstrated the artists' confidence in their creative endeavours.

I want to return so I can appreciate this exhibition in it’s totality. I only present the top half of this Andy Warhol as the image of me in front of it showed an extremely exhausted me! I do feel as though I was only able to appreciate half of the richness of this exhibition. 

“Others have seen what is and asked why. 
I have seen what could be and asked why not.”
~ Pablo Picasso, Pablo Picasso: Metamorphoses 
of the Human Form: Graphic works, 1895-1972

No comments: