Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Cool Down - Writing Exercise

This story, Cool Down, is a lightly edited version of our ten minute free write exercise at Writer’s group yesterday afternoon. Each group member pulled two cards from a bag. The cards were from the board game Picture Picture. All the cards had completely different pictures on them. Our choice was to do the exercise using one or both of the cards. I chose to combine the cards for my story.

My first card showed a 50 something man, dressed in suit and tie, shouting angrily into a telephone. The second card show a couple somewhat older, sitting in their camper, with their hunting rifles, dressed in their hunting gear with broad smiles and looking happy.

I edited my story to portray a one sided phone conversation. 
Here’s my story Cool Down written in 10 minutes

““YOU TWO LEFT WITHOUT ME!! Can you not UNDERSTAND what this means!? I’ve been waiting for two years for this camping trip. I had my hunting rifles all oiled and ready to go! All I had to do was get out of this damned suit and tie, pick up my gear and leave. My own little trailer is hitched to my jeep. Now I get this post card from you looking like a couple of grinning idiots.

Do I sound mad? You bet I am. But I’ll cool down. It’s just that I’ll have to catch up to you - or go off on my own hunting trip. 

Hmm? Maybe a fishing trip would be better. I’ve got that gear all packed too. A hunting trip by myself doesn’t sound too safe, but fishing? A quiet river bank, my trailer near by. A small fire to cook a big fat trout on. No phones, no computer. The only thing to be aware of would be the fish and whether they were biting. And if they’re not, I’ll have food in my little fridge. 

Yup. A couple of nights off in the woods by a stream filled with fish. You two just have yourselves a good time and we can share stories when we both get back.

Oh, I feel much better now. I might even stop smoking those cigars that Helen hates so much. Joe, you quit them years ago didn’t you?

Anyway, sorry I yelled through the phone at you.”

“Sometimes it takes a meltdown to cool down.”
~ Evinda Lepins

No comments: