Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Failure to Recognize

Not a good way to begin the month of June.
Anger and huge frustration about addictions health care
And I do use those three words with great caution
The health care of patients and clients on the frontlines
The health of health care workers on the frontlines

I have devoted the last several decades to this work
I also became aware of the neurobiology of addiction
Always expecting that the bizarre behaviours of our clients
will be seen as a symptom,
that the approaches taken 
in nursing, in social work and in medicine 
and in health care systems will be developed;
that brain trauma of any kind changes an individual’s behaviour,
and such behaviour can be unpredictable and extremely dangerous  to any of us on the front lines charged with the individual's care.

Am I angry about the uncontrolled behaviour of a client with severe brain trauma?
Organic, substance affected, mental illness, in withdrawal or all of the above?
And did I mention anything else ~ oh say like poor nutrition, poverty, ……
Or angry about the systems that appear to continue utilizing ineffective models of care?
And did I mention under-funding and under-educating systems that are in place?

I think that’s enough venting for now.
I won’t stop working for and caring for these clients, these patients ~ my fellow human beings.

“Compassion is all inclusive. Compassion knows no boundaries. Compassion comes with awareness, and awareness breaks all narrow territories.”
~ Amit Ray, Nonviolence: The Transforming Power

No comments: