Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2016

A Walk in the Park

I set out this afternoon for a Sunday Drive. Thetis Lake was a possibility, but the vagaries of GPS had me arriving at Goldstream Provincial Park. Though I’ve been on Vancouver Island for over ten years, I only occasionally go on a wander outside of Victoria and still really need to rely on my GPS.

When I saw the turn off to Goldstream Provincial Park, it was a great relief. Once I stepped out in the cool leafy air, it was a great curiosity. I had been driving for quite a while, it was lovely and hot and I had just wanted to find a picnic table, and I found so much more. In clear a river that runs through Goldstream Provincial Park, salmon spawn each year. Most abundant are Chum salmon, but there have also been other varieties of salmon seen. I was not fortunate enough, or maybe patient enough, to see any although at this time of year I think they would be quite tiny. 

My mistaken direction took me to this lovely part of the Island, only 20 minutes from Victoria. Unless you take a very scenic route!






“The poetry of the earth 
is never dead.”
~ John Keats





Author's note: Edited and reformatted January 22, 2024

No comments: