Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Homecoming

Homecoming

He opened the door to find her standing there, crying. Quietly crying, poised and well-dressed.

“I was so afraid that you wouldn’t be home. Is mom here? Do you even want me here?”

Her father hadn’t said a word. Just stared at her.

“I’ve made such a mess of my life. Of your lives. And I’m so very, very sorry. I wouldn’t blame you if you asked me to leave.”

Manley just stood frozen while this woman cried and talked. He had heard it all before as had Genevieve,  his wife of 40 years. He had cut Cassandra out of his heart a long time ago, but the scar had never really healed. Today, the aching started again. They had not seen or heard from Cassie for several years and believed her dead or dying in some dirty back alley. But there she was….his Cassie-girl. Shivering and cold and crying. Manley felt soft warm hands on his shoulders.

“Manley? Who is it? Cassandra!! Oh my dear sweet daughter, come here to me! Let me get you warm. Manley, it’s ok. You come in here too and stop looking so shocked.”

Cassandra melted, sobbing, into her mother’s arms. Manley slowly stepped back into the front hall, quietly shutting out the cold, his hand lingered on the shiny brass door knob. He felt the need to do something. To get something. Go to the kitchen for some tea? He couldn’t really have seen Cassie. Is she really home?

“Manley, come in here a minute, honey. Cassie has something she wants to tell us.”

“Now, Cassie, your grandparents will be here any moment. Do you want to wait to give them your news? They will be so excited for you. Oh, honey, you’re scared. It’s ok. Maybe it would be easier to tell your dad and I first with just the three of us.”

Cassandra took a deep breath, held on to her mug of tea like it was the only thing keeping her still. She looked in her dad’s eyes. So suspicious, confused and ready to be hurt again. She had planned this day for the last year. Not by herself, but with her new friends, and with her counsellor.

“Well. Oh, this is so hard.” Cassandra  hesitated, tears slid slowly from her clear, green eyes. Then her words tumbled out without warning.

“You haven’t heard from me for so long because I have been doing a lot of work. I was in the hospital for quite awhile - that’s another story - I wouldn’t let them call you. I went through detox there then the social worker got me to a long term treatment center down east. I’ve been out from there for a year now and have my own apartment. I’ve kept a job at one of the thrift stores on the other side of the city since moving into my apartment. You also have a grandson. Caleb is two years old now. I have shown him your pictures. I would like him to meet his grandparents but will understand if you don’t want to.”

Manley’s voice had returned to him. Gruff and defensive.

“Cassie, this is quite a lot to take in when Christmas is just a day away. Sounds to me that you’re just creating your usual Christmas crisis. And where is this grandson anyway?”


“Dad, I’m not going to beg and I’m not going to fight either of you. I’m telling you all this for my son, your grandson. Right now, he is with his babysitter. I won’t wait for Grandma and Grandpa, but will go now. Please tell them I love them and hope to see them soon.”

Cassandra got up to leave, still wearing her coat and pulled her gloves from her pockets. Genevieve, always the placater of the family, turned to Manley. 

“Manley, it is Christmas. I know, that’s not an excuse and sometimes not even a good reason. Why don’t we have Cassie and little Caleb over for Christmas dinner tomorrow? In fact, Cassie, could you stay here a bit longer to help me get some of the salads ready for tomorrow.”

“I don’t know, mom. I’d love to but dad is pretty worried. We need to listen to him too.”

“Well, it might be alright. But it might be better if we went and picked up - Caleb? A good family name. Your mom could come too, but she needs to be here if your grandparents get here. I’d do it by myself but Caleb won’t know who I am. Do you think we could take a ride together?”

“Thank you dad. Mom, is that ok? I don’t live that far away so we’ll be right back.”

Genevieve felt such relief and joy at having her daughter back with her. The old niggle of fear, ever present, felt much more distant than it had for a long time.

“Every traveler has a home of his own, and he learns 
to appreciate it the more from his wandering.”
Charles Dickens

*Opening line from writingexercises.co.uk

No comments: