Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2019

Mirage ~ 1



Reshaping the past 
gilds our memories with honey ~ details waver where only warm feelings remain from one lost summer walking barefoot along a dirt road lined with ditches filled with heavy headed grasses, powdery soft dirt dusting my toes with warmth, 
afternoon sun on my hair and shoulders,
a dribble of perspiration rolling down my back. 
the feeling of being alone and free ~
united with the wide spread land.
a single human child walking pensively with 
only the lowering sun, a grumbling distant tractor,
the rustle and rattle of ripening wheat and 
a single meadowlark bidding good night to the land.
A singular oneness never felt in the crowded cities. 

Even as evening folds into night,
when the streetlights hurt my eyes,,
never ending traffic ruffles the pavement,
a distant fog horn sounds it's watery presence
I long for the starlight and silence of the prairies.

“These are the quicksilver moments of my childhood 
I cannot remember entirely. Irresistible and emblematic, 
I can recall them only in fragments and shivers of the heart.”
~ Pat Conroy, The Prince of Tides

No comments: