Pages

Friday, March 12, 2021

One Year Ago

It’s been one year, as of yesterday - March 11th, 2020 - when the World Health Organization declared a global pandemic of the Covid 19 virus. If I had heard only that on a news report, I may have been mildly curious. To think that my little corner of Canada would be affected would not have made much sense. If memory serves, I had met with my Walking Group, only two days before at our usual coffee shop. Rumours had already floated through Victoria about the possible news that would change all of our lives and perspectives. Businesses were beginning to close or restructure. We were hearing words like social distancing and the importance of hand washing. Masks had not yet ballooned into a subject of great consternation among the populations of the world. 


Little did our group know that, after almost sixteen years, our walking group that had already shrunk in size, would be denied the absolute pleasure of meeting every Monday morning for walking, talking and solving all the worlds problems - we had failed to be alert for a pandemic!  For the first many weeks, it was as though everyone had gone silent. Streets were practically empty, no one met casually for a chat, to the library, to the movies. No one knew how long this disaster would go on, how many things would be affected and could anyone fix it. 


Very gradually, we all picked up the few pieces that we could. Now, in my group of friends, (some would call us senior citizens) I can only name one person who is truly computer literate - the rest of us do the best we can. Over this past year, out of necessity, we have blossomed - or maybe sprouted. Zooming has allowed many of our social activities to continue. Facetime, Skype and any form of electronic communication (telephones!) has been much appreciated. Pale replacements for real face time, real hugs, laughter without an electronic tinge. Going to actual museums - but grateful for the virtual ones. Going to dance or music lessons - but grateful for the virtual ones. Book clubs meeting in actual living rooms - but grateful for the online ones. I could go on - but - I won’t.


My personal response to the familial and community effects of the pandemic? In July of last year, and at 73 years of age, with the help of my son, I uprooted myself and returned to Regina, Saskatchewan - my home province. I am still separated from many family members, but now the distance is shorter for some very important people - a son, my grandson and my great granddaughter. One of my sons  remains in Vancouver keeping his salon business active despite Public Health restrictions. Many days in this past year, it has been a challenge, but one I am so very glad I accepted. It’s become a wonderful part of my new normal.


“…they were just being normal, and they were enjoying

 that elusive state of simply BEING…”

~ Kristan Higgins, Good Luck with That





 

No comments: