Pages

Monday, May 30, 2022

Back Pocket Ideas



Just over three years into my retirement from nursing, I am getting restless. Life has been far from ordinary since February of 2019. Recently I've had a few curve balls thrown at me. As I listen to another news show, bake another loaf of bread, vacuum the rug and talk to myself - or the cat - my mind and my energy has slowed. 


It does take me back to preretirement discussions with colleagues about what we’d do, where we’d go or even how we’d manage without our careers of life times. There were lots of ideas floated, but then the telephone would ring. Ideas went in our back pockets to take home with us.


Now I think I’ll retrieve some of those ideas. What I do know for sure is that I still want to make a difference in someone’s life. There are two things that need my attention first: clearing up this most recent curve ball; and one more move that is really almost more exciting than the last. (Details to be released later.)


In the meantime, designing this part of my retirement will involve writing and researching some details. I’m really ready to involve myself in something greater than myself. 


“I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. 

And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.”

~ Edward Everett Hale


No comments: