Pages

Monday, September 19, 2022

Beneath History

There is no doubt that the monarchy has created much anguish and pain throughout history. No doubt at all. Yet today, in these many days of pomp and ceremony, it was the measured and steady steps of the procession that gripped me. Slowing the movement of time in a busy and chaotic world. The hierarchy of rank, status and family was clearly present, and surrounded by ordinary people. They were the uniformed men in the traditional procession and the throngs of people in attendance. Everyone participating in honour of Queen Elizabeth II’s passing. As I watched the magnificent procession taking Her Majesty on her final journey, I recognized something more. I saw the humanity of a family beneath the ugly black marks of history and squabbles and foibles of family. I am not defending, nor do I have the right to, the monarchy and it’s history. I do, however, wish the Queen’s family well.


“Courage. Kindness. Friendship. Character. These are the qualities that 

define us as human beings, and propel us, on occasion, to greatness.”

~ R.J.Palacio, Wonder


No comments: