Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2022

Treasure Hunting

'Mother and Child' by Samuel Lovi, Accra, Ghana
collage with paint on wood - Date unknown.
(Grandmothers 4 Grandmothers Art Sale)
I set myself up! Ordinarily, my wanderings involve an appointment of some kind: a hair appointment, some kind of health related appointment, the bank, groceries. All important but really very little fun involved. Unless you count a light word or two with professionals or service people. 


Starting at the Grandmothers 4 Grandmothers Art Sale this past Thursday, among all the many paintings and pictures on offer, I found ‘Mother and Child’ - a lovely little collage with paint on wood. On the back, the artist’s name and the price in Ghanian currency ~ I suspect considerably more than the $10.00 I paid for it. 

The Year of Magical Thinking by John Didion
(Cathedral Community Assoc. Rummage Sale)
Greta Garbo post card from 
(The Cat and the Fiddle Antiques)

At the Cathedral Area Rummage Sale - oh my goodness! Contents of closets, garages, closets, basements and attics filled the same space as the Art Sale two days before. I strolled past all the tables picking up and putting down interesting pieces. Books! Despite my previous culling of my books, they still attract me like iron filings to a magnet. When I saw the book by Joan Didion, I recalled the interview with her on CBC I listened to just last week about this very book. What could I do? Just walk away and let it go. $0.50 later I put it in my book bag and continued on my way. My next stop: the Connaught Branch of the Regina Public Library. A detour into The Cat and The Fiddle Antique Store just to look around. The Greta Garbo postcard ($2.00) was just one of a great stack of vintage postcards. I was careful just to choose one. 


Lunch out and a browse through a specialty clothing store completed my singular Treasure Hunting day. My sojourns into the world of treasures is fun. Getting to know this new community, after over thirty years away, is a joy.



“Treasure comes in many forms.”

~ S.A.Rodriguez, Treasure Tracks





 

No comments: