Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2023

On an Afternoon Walk ~ In a Hurry


 I saw them. On the corner as I strode past. Two steps back, I made certain of them. Beautiful yellow flowers in a corner flower bed. Can’t stop. I’m keeping pace with a sidewalk acquaintance. We both had the same goal. To get to the Saskatoon Berry Festival to meet with friends for what was a lovely afternoon.


~~~~~


Strolling home, I had almost forgotten the little flower bed. Alone on the sidewalk, I kept a much slower pace in the hot afternoon. No deadline to keep. As the tree came into view I remembered the beautiful yellow flowers, picked up my pace so I could share them with you. Hurrying to keep up to this new acquaintance may have been the right thing to do, and at the time there was a whisper in my mind that said to slow down. Not to smell any roses, but to savour the beauty on street corners. So on the way home, I did.


“In the meantime, there is not an hour to lose. 

I am about to visit the public library.”

~ Jules Verne,  Journey to the Center of the Earth


No comments: