Pages

Monday, July 31, 2023

On an Afternoon Walk ~ Out of the Heat

When I see squirrels, they are usually racing up a tree, scampering across the street, running up and down roof tops or jumping branch to branch. This little fellow was on the ground, walking slowly up the sidewalk in front of me, about four feet from me. It glanced back at me a couple of times, but wasn’t spooked by my presence. At all. I really was concerned because he was moving so slowly. When the little one got to the fence, it did scramble up all right, turned around and looked at me. Just sat and looked at me. I took my time readying my cell phone camera. It didn't move from his perch. Even while I walked past, it didn’t move.


Why am I telling you all this? Yesterday morning, I listened to a CBC Ideas episode about how rising world temperatures affect animal populations. Yesterday afternoon, the temperature was over 30 degrees Centigrade. - it was just after 3pm. We are expecting similar temperatures for the next three days. I do hope that the little squirrel had a water source close by.


“You don’t live on earth, you are passing through.”

~ Rumi


No comments: