Pages

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Heroes and Essays

“I didn’t have time, Mr. Samson! You should have seen the work my mom and dad gave me this weekend. I wanted to get the essay written. Really I did!” Ralph was desperate. How could he get his teacher to believe him? What if he called his parents? He’d be hooped! Hanging his head, he caved. “Yes I had to do lots of chores this weekend but that’s not really why. I’m sorry, I just didn’t want anyone to know. “When I could get away from my chores, I went to the batting cages. The baseball diamond was empty when I got there.” Nine year old Ralph looked up at this stone faced teacher, tears in his eyes. “I just want to play baseball, sir.”


Mr. Samson’s face softened, not so much that his young student would notice. “Well then Ralph. That’s not a reason to neglect your homework. It’s a fine idea to have heroes. But heroes had to do their homework too.” He had no idea about baseball or base ball players, but needed to say something. “I’m going to change your assignment. You still have an essay to write, but I want you to choose your favourite baseball player. Write about him.” Ralph snapped upright, his face shining, he wiped his wet face with his sleeve. “Really! Gee, thanks Mr. Samson. I won’t disappoint you!!


The two men, one tall and stern; the other short and excited left the classroom while Ralph bubbled over with nine year old knowledge about Babe Ruth.


“Only children believe they are capable of everything.”

~ Paulo Coelho


 

No comments: