Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2024

A Cracker of an Experiment

I had the dough. Pizza dough, in fact. The kind you get in the refrigerated section in the grocery store. The dough, compressed in the little ultramarine blue tube, waited for me to make pizza. Every time I opened the fridge door, it seemed to stare accusingly at me. Yesterday, I decided enough was enough. I didn’t have the ingredients for a pizza, but dough is dough. Right? Not quite. Stiff and unyielding, I did manage to make several small rolls, but they didn’t cooperate. Not soft and fluffy. Dense and when I tasted one, too salty!! What to do, what to do? Crackers. I’ve wanted to make my own crackers for a long time, so bread knife in hand, I sliced them all up. Into a slow oven for about an hour, they crisped up beautifully, the white bread turned caramel brown. Although still too salty, a little cracker worked nicely with cream cheese and a little marmalade!


“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking 

you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”

~ Julia Child


p.s. - Julia's quotation is one I’ve used often and will probably use it again.

No comments: