Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Changing Scenery

This stream of consciousness story was written in a timed writing exercise (10 minutes) at this months Writing group. We were to write from a picture painted by our host’s relative. Unfortunately I neglected to get a photo of it, so have taken this one from my own photo library. I have done a bit of editing - grammar does get thrown out when it’s a timed exercise! My consciousness stream borrowed from an incident told me about a week before this was written in early June.

Changing Scenery

’The scene was idyllic. My thoughts not so much. I knew if I just convinced myself to follow the path before me I would lose myself in the gentle scenery. It had been a rough day. No, not a rough day. It had been a rough week. My home had been invaded by workers. My dishwasher had sprung a leak and when the repairman came to assess the damage, he discovered a slow leak that had finally burst one of the hoses. How long it had been leaking he couldn’t tell. I had to move out of my house while they replaced my entire kitchen floor. The only thing available was a squalid little motel on the other side of town. It just made my heart break. But, I’m tough. I took a deep breath and turned away from my home and the motel. On my way to the motel, I passed an RV lot with big RENT ME signs plastered against the fences surrounding the lot. I wheeled in and rented the first one that I was shown. I had to take my car home but returned by taxi. And now here I was in this peaceful and idyllic spot, away from the city, on time off from my job and away from my kitchen mess. The deep breath I took as I settled in the campsite was cool and smelled of summer leaves. The rough edges of my week were softened. I shut off my cell phone and put it away’……………(timer rang!)

“A change of scenery can help everything.”
~ Drew Pomeranz

No comments: