Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Image and Voice

Youthfulness has left me behind ~ 
In body
see the wrinkles on my skin
gathered over years of sweat, strain, laughter and tears.
See my posture
once straight and sure
now the straightness must be reminded
when I step from my bed.
See the veins on my hands
once hidden in youth, revealing themselves
carrying good red blood coursing life through my body

Youthfulness has left me behind ~ 
In mind
Dwindling some call it
A gap, a black hole - once familiar words no longer exist
taken flight into nether regions of my mind, 
Hear my thoughts
that come out garbled at unexpected moments
in unfortunate ways, eliciting laugher or derision ~
like the youthfulness of a toddler learning the new world
or of a senior unlearning a world that has become old.
Hear my voice
croaking each morning, once clear and strong
sounding weak and uncertain in the early morn ~
yet hear my youthful laughter 
sounding joy over things that, once filled with gravity,
today are lighter than the air that we breathe

Youthfulness has left me behind ~ 
In heart
My heart, still worn on my sleeve, is
shadowed deeply by the layers of the years
softened in places and grown a thick skin in others
allowing me to survive all the arrows from within and without
and still discover love, laughter and life within my world.

Youthfulness has left me behind ~ except ~
My soul 
Never wavering 
rejoices in all that life has given me.
There have been times I have shied away
afraid yet wanting to move forward but once rested and confident
again have returned to more fully accept the gift of family.
My soul, always the rudder, 
has steered my sometimes unsteady ship 
into quieter water and then into the current of life
beside and with the rest of the of the world.

“Growing old is humbling and it takes effort 
to accomplish this stage of life with dignity.”
 ~ Kilroy J. Oldster,  Dead Toad Scrolls

No comments: