Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

When I Was a Child - 1st in Series

Not quite as blurry as my memories
The following is from a writing exercise borrowed from the book Walking in The World by Julia Cameron.  The words in italics are direct quotations from that book. I have already completed this exercise in my personal journal with answers a bit different. There are a total of 10 questions. I’ll only do six today.  In the next four days, which are work days, I will post one a day to complete the last four.  Here is my introduction to Identify Your Identity  in Chapter Two.

When I was a Child

When I was a small child, I dreamed of growing up to be……..
oh, wait - I was dreamy - I think - 
memory does not serve up a picture, a thought, a desire.

In my childhood my interest what art was encouraged………
oh, wait - I didn’t see cutting out paper dolls, colouring, 
learning to create a meal and bake bread as artistic.

In my childhood, my interest in what art was discouraged……
oh, wait - cutting out paper dolls and colouring were merely distractions;
creating a meal, baking bread and sewing was what was done - so
no discouragement - just things on the to do list.

If I had had more encouragement , I would probably have tried…….
Which one?  All of them? Or a different one?
Writing stories like Jo March in Little Women tucked up in her
peaceful attic garret away from the noise of growing up.

The teacher who helped me see my gifts was…..
hmmmmm - so many ~ from grandparents to parents,
siblings and cousins to my teachers in school or 
am I still dreaming of growing up?

The childhood friend who helped me see my gifts was…….
another tough one! We all learned from each other but
it was about the childhood games of Green Ghost, Kick the Can;
playing Scrabble and Go Fish and which colours of crayons were the best.

“Does childhood really happen? Do we imagine it? 
Everyone remembers something else….”
~ Kiana Davenport, Shark Dialogues

No comments: