Pages

Friday, August 28, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 153 - Drama - Situationally Theirs

Review, Revision, Edit and Update
There is a question I ask when I'm reading my reviews. Are those words furthering the story?This is an especially important question when a sentence feels disjointed in my mouth. My decision has to be to rearrange words, to remove words, or maybe get rid of the whole sentence. In fact, a phrase or sentence, may not only be unnecessary but may distract from the intent of the setting or story. With this in mind, rearranging and removal were the tasks of today's revision.

Drama

The phone rang. Her well used cell phone was face-up on the counter, dangerously close to a water filled pickle jar where two paint brushes soaked. One paint brush behind her ear, another clamped between her teeth, Dez lifted her brush from the canvas. She glanced at the offending noise. “Jeremy? What’s he calling me for?” Taking her brush out of her mouth and s
etting her paint filled palette in the midst of her cluttered counter, she wiped her hands on her colourfully stained apron. Punching the 'accept call' icon she answered the call. “Jeremy? Did you call a wrong number? This is Dez - not Emmie.”

~~~~

With cup of coffee in hand, Dr. Jeremy Crawford, decided to call Emmie’s sister, Dez. He knew he should have already called Emelina. Talked to her, apologized, said something but he was too embarrassed. He knew he was completely out of line the day - the night - that he called her. Asking her to come to the hospital to see his patient, Mrs. Tyler? Just because Em's name was on the back of an old photo? But this patient wasn’t expected to live through the night, she said she didn’t have anyone, and looked so lost, so alone……. “Dez, I need….I want to talk with you about my behaviour the other night. I should be talking to Emelina and I will, but you were there.”

Dez was confused. “Jeremy, how would that help? I don’t know what I could say. I don’t even know why you think talking to me would help, but if you want to come over here….have you had supper yet? I’ll just heat up a pizza and make some salad. You can talk and I can listen. Sound's like that’s all you need - some pizza and a sounding board.”

~~~~~

“You were right, Dez.” Jeremy took another slice of the pizza and more salad. “About them both - pizza and a sounding board. I haven’t been eating much of anything the last couple of days. My fridge is practically empty. I haven't even cared much about food.” Putting down his salad fork, he looked at Dez. “I really did mess up, didn’t I?” Abruptly he pushed his chair back and paced up and down the small kitchen. “Such a jackass! I shouldn’t have called her at that hour with such vague information about a woman I’d never seen before. All on the strength of that stupid photograph!”

“Slow down Jeremy, stop being so hard on yourself.” Dez listened to Jeremy’s little outburst with sympathy. “Maybe you messed up and maybe you didn’t. But what’s done is done. Did I think it was weird? Yes, but I’d do anything for my sister, so when she asked me to come with her, I did. Dez recalled the concern in Emmie’s voice that night that urged her to get up. “I wasn’t exactly awake and eager to get out of my nice warm bed, but Emmie saved me from a predicament three months ago, so returning the favour was the least I could do.” 

~~~~~

Being with Dez, he felt strong enough to call her sister, embarrassed or not. After a short conversation with Emelina, Jeremy looked at Dez and ssaid he had to go. With a new found excitement and in a most unprofessional manner, Jeremy kissed Dez on each cheek, hugged her as she sat at the table, said “Thank you! Thank you.” He took a last bite of pizza and left Dez’s apartment. Still sitting at the table and stunned, she heard her door slam and Jeremy’s feet pounding down the hall. She stood, put their plates in the sink, the leftover pizza in the fridge for breakfast. Washing the tomato sauce from her hands, she picked up her brushes and went back to her painting.

“Never let somebody’s drama determine the outcome of your day.”
~ Terry Mark (unknown author of quote)

No comments: