Pages

Monday, August 24, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 149 - Gifted - Situationally Theirs

Review, Revision, Edit and Update
In my review, the theme underscoring the revisions was pretty broad. Too many words here, not enough there and once case of a duplication of the word 'to'. Once more, when I think of the stacks of books in libraries and book stores, I applaud the copy editors of this world that let us read fiction or non-fiction, children story or history with relative ease. 


Gifted

Carrie was restless. Heavily sedated, she was unaware of where she was. Beginning to breath on her own, nursing had recommended to the physicians that the respirator be removed. “At least that’s what’s been reported to me.” Emelina and Dez, allowed up to the sixth floor and accompanied by Miss Campbell, the social worker were filled in on the patient's condition. 

When they arrived at Carrie's room, the three women stood at the observation window to her room. Once more, Emelina was 16 years old. She shuddered and shrugged her shoulders, bringing her back to reality. This was not a nursery window, and she was not looking at her baby. Instead, Carrie, a grown woman, pale, frail and restless, showed none of an infant’s innocence. Emelina turned away, leaning on Dez. “I thought I had recovered from the shock of it all, Dez.” She looked up at her sister with sad eyes, her face drawn. Numbly, she handed a sealed envelope to the social worker. “Miss Campbell, here is the note I wrote last night. I wanted it here today. I plan to write one each day, but truly am not certain.” The Social Worker, a charming woman with a kind smile, clipped it to her folder. “I'll be keeping in touch, but if you have any questions, please call. I have a meeting I have to get to, so must leave. You know your way out of the hospital?” She looked up at Dez. “Yes, miss. I’ll take care of her. She's still pretty shaken.” Miss Campbell’s beeper buzzed. “Oops, I’m late and they’re tracking me down. Both of you take care. I’ll get this note to Mrs Tyler after my meeting.”

Dez took advantage of the Social Worker's departure as a cue to leave the hospital.“Emmie, come on. Lets us get going as well. We’re both just running on coffee and a little bit of toast. We’re going out to the Estate. I’ve already contacted Cook and she’ll make us some breakfast. You don’t need to be in here and stewing over it all. There’s nothing you can do but write her letters - you can do that from your home. Get them in Digby's morning mail. You can write her about little things on the estate? And you’ll need to talk with Brigitte about plans you already have and decide whether to keep on with them. Enough talk - let’s get going. Have you heard from Jeremy yet?” While Dez was talking she was steering Emmie down the hall, into the elevator and out to the parking lot. She thought that if she kept talking, it might distract her sister enough to pry her away. “No, Dez. I haven’t and I really don’t want to hear from him while I'm this way. And I think you’re right. Being in town is just going to keep my head in a mess. At least on the Estate, I’ll have things to do. Even if it’s just walking in circles on the track.”

Dez grinned. “Oh no you don’t. That’ll just match the whirlwind in your head. We’ve got work to do in the orchard. Joey and Steven have been great at picking the apples, but there’s still a lot of work to do.” Dez didn’t know exactly what work needed doing, but she would find some or make some if she had to. “I’m driving, Emmie.”

“Dez, did I ever tell you that you can be quite bossy? I am your older sister and deserve some respect.” Emmie actually smiled. “Actually after what I’ve put you through in the last 24 hours, you’re the one that deserves my respect. Getting you up at a ridiculous hour, dragging you to the hospital with me to see Carrie, sleeping in your bed……..I don’t believe this has all happened.” Emmie seemed lost in thought for a moment. Watching the ripening fields go by, she said suddenly “What’s happening with the bees, Dez?” Turning to face her, she said “Are we going to have any this fall?”

Trying to maintain Emmie’s drifting thoughts, Dez kept up the discussion. “My order never did get processed, so I’m actually trying to attract a feral swarm, but I don’t think it’s going to work. Too late in the season. The meadow, from the orchard to the stream, is full of beautiful fall wild flowers that I don't want mown down. Full of bees, you’d think that there’d be a swarm around looking for a home..”

~~~~~

Carrie did get a note or a letter from Emelina every day while she was in the hospital. The first week, she was not able to read them herself. The Social Worker had a volunteer sit with her and read the letters to her. Still very weak, she began to try to read them herself. The first time, even the paper was too heavy and she had to ask the volunteer to help her. Emelina would tell her what she had done in a day. She told her about where she lived, her sister, the smell of the apple orchard in the evening, the warmth of the people that worked at the estate and of course, the delicious food that came from the garden and into the kitchen. Carrie always dozed and rested easily after the letters. Letters that were bound wth an elastic band and carefully put away in her bedside table.

“Not for ourselves alone are we born.”
~ Marcus Tullius Cicero

No comments: