Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Inbetween Intention and Action


To continue my study on intention, it has occurred to me that motivation is a next area to be looked at. One of my brothers, who shall remain nameless, has told me that I think too much. I kind of, sort of, disagree.  I do think a lot and try to make things fit a certain picture or process. This topic of intention is ripe for busy thinking. 

Saturday opened with sunshine and a day with little schedule - none important to the turning of the earth. Plans for the day included, besides my usual routine in the morning, having a friend in for coffee and then going for a drive outside Victoria to a market for local vegetables. We checked their garden center, tomatoes plants won’t be in until Tuesday, and took a very long scenic route through the countryside to return to Victoria. I took a wrong turn, but on this very pretty day, with no pressing time constraints we just drove past farms and spring blossoms, horses, lambs and people cycling. Our motivation for going out of the city to the market was merely to see what was there. The wandering drive home was an added bonus. 

Returning to Victoria, Margaret took her vegetables home and I got ready to go to Aquafit.  Once there I realized that I had my times mixed up and had missed the class. Not to worry. I donned my bathing suit and did a half hour of the usual exercises on my own in an almost empty pool. My motivation to continue with exercises? My intention to keep my body healthy and strong. This intention has lasted for the better part of my life. Participation in yoga, walking and most recently Aquafit has maintained my physical, mental and emotional health. (It also allows me a more varied and delicious diet!) As I am participating in my activities, my curiousity for how I am able to expand my limits is satisfied with each step taken, puzzled over and enjoyed.

Motivation does not have to be a grand burst of longterm and sustained energy.  If that was necessary, my dishes would never get done! Motivation seems merely to be the spark that encourages activity whether a drive in the country, accepting a change in plans or working on a long held dream.

“The heights charm is, but the steps do not; with 
the mountain in our view we love to walk the plains.”
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No comments: