Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Stop Being So Serious!!

Well, yesterday was a bit dark! At least my blog post was, because the sun, as it is today, was brilliant. This morning's writing is different. In my search for theme, what it is, and how to be creative with theme and content I am, once more, listening to four TEDx speakers about creativity and story listened to on a regular basis. I include one by BrenĂ© Brown on vulnerability.  Today a new one has been added to my 'classroom lectures'.

What has been bothering me is the dreadful seriousness of this writing process that I work on. Not that writing is serious, but the topic certainly can be. In this case ~ Addiction and Withdrawal Management. Wherever these topics are, the challenge is confronting Stigma and Stigma by Association for those of us working in this field. 

There were a couple of reasons why I maintained an interest in this many years ago. The first was that I was amazed that, in 24 to 48 hours, a dishevelled, angry and/or psychotic individual of any age, became mostly rational, reasonable and ‘cleaned up pretty darn good’.  Secondly it was the dark humour easily shared with those same folks whether cleaned up or not.

My problem? When writing I have not been 'playing' with these two issues in order that I might write a serious nursing guide for withdrawal management. I have continually bumped up against the issue of stigma, and felt all the ‘should have’s’ of that writing a serious nursing manuel apparently requires. Fortunately today, I found a new, and humourous addition to my TED talks series ~ John Cleese on Creativity. Listening to him at Cleese Talks Creativity by Virtual Training (on YouTube), tickled my funny bone. I have been putting very tiny bits of humour in some of my writing today about the very serious topic of Addictions and Withdrawal Management.

“The most creative people have this childlike facility to play.”
~ John Cleese

No comments: