Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Access Denied: Health Food vs Survival


Just back from getting a few groceries at a health food store.
And before that, on CBC radio, heard about their annual food bank drive and the increasing numbers of food banks, and thus, individuals in need of food.
Guilty feelings surfaced momentarily about the invisible, yet extreme disparity in so many lives after my recent purchases.
Food banks are the only ‘health food’ stores for some ~
to survive one more span of time.
with energy to maintain employment
to raise a family
for some, we can choose where our food ~ 
for our good health and preference ~ will come from
Am I depressed, guilt ridden or angry about any of this?
Not really.
I am, however, extremely disappointed ~
in the direction our society has taken:
A glut of food in stores that too many are unable to access
A plethora of clothes in stores and malls that too many are unable to access.
Personally, my gratitude sustains me and clarifies my daily responsibilities amid this cultural imbalance.

“There are genuinely sufficient resources in the world to ensure
that no one, nowhere, at no time, should go hungry. “
~ Ed Asner

No comments: