Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Ranting about Research vs Common Sense


How much is too much?
An amount or type determined by research and science passed on to society via media and medical folks. Then there are pharmaceutical fixes for us all. I have long touted preventative health care ~ changes in life style, alterations in diet, adjustments and tailoring for improved health. But taking medications only because the research has said we should? Before examining the way we live our lives?

So much is discussed these days about 
life span and right to life, quality of life and end of life care,
that when I hear things about medication solutions, I wonder
what are we proposing to prevent? Death? ~ if so, death is a given ~ the manner of dying is not.

A possibility of a stroke or heart attack? ~ what risks can I avoid. Studies done in the research world ~ who pays for them?, how many folks were in the sample size? Was there a balance in gender ~ in culture ~ in location?

I’m not a scientist or researcher, so it’s nice to learn the information that they find. Being told what is right for me ~ not always comfortable ~ unless my genetics tell me I’m at risk. When I do know that if I pay attention I may just know what hurts me, what doesn’t digest well and to trust in myself first before research tells me what to do ('Myself' might tell me to read some research to find more or different answers!)

Genetics.....risks.....facts determined by research scientists.
Common Sense......invisible knowing of what is right and good.

“Common sense will nearly always stand you in 
better stead than a slavish adherence to the conventions.”
~ M.M.Kaye, Shadow of the Moon

No comments: