Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Letter to Sam: A Ten Minute Writing Exercise

This ten minute exercise, from Friday’s writing group,  was to write a letter to anyone, living, fictional or dead, that was not to be sent. (There were no instructions about putting it on a blog site.)
Here goes!:

A Letter to Sam

Dear Sam,

I have no idea who you are or why I am writing this letter to you. I suppose it’s because I saw you from a distance and really wanted to approach you with my concerns. The distance was from my seat in the conference hall to where you stood at the podium. You were and probably still are extremely good looking and so well spoken that my attention was focused on your face and your words. I was at the conference with my colleagues to learn about the gizmos and sprockets that run the machine you were selling to our company. However, your brilliance and stunning beauty are all I can remember. There seemed to be a glow around you with each word you spoke. Did I learn anything that day? Not about sprockets and gizmos, I can assure you. I did learn that this old maid still has an interest in the opposite sex. And all of the possibilities in a world I have long since abandoned. I also know that sending this letter to you would be absolutely disastrous. Maybe only in my own mind, as your secretary would probably just throw it out before even opening it. I’m afraid my employer paid too much for me to attend this function.

Yours truly,
An ardent admirer.

“Time can be a greedy thing - sometimes it steals the details for itself.”
~ Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

Author's Note: the edits that I made included putting the title above the Letter to Sam and one comma in the body of the letter. Because it was a 10 minute writing exercise, I chose not to make another changes. Actually, did see any!      January 18, 2024

No comments: