Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Keeping Silent


Sitting across from a

  A son or a daughter
    A mother or father
      A grandma or grandpa
Cousins, nieces or nephews

My curiosity is kept in check
  for all but medical details of
    alcohol misuse
       drug misuse
prescription, illicit or from the cabinet at home.

Sitting across I watch
  tears and exquisite sadness of life gone so very wrong
    the exhaustion of years buried in chemicals
      fear and nervousness about coming sickness
withdrawal from chemicals is the easy part of recovery.

“At the bottom of every person’s dependency, 
there is always pain. Discovering the pain and 
healing it is an essential step in ending dependency.”
~ Chris Prentiss, The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure


2 comments:

CAP-W said...

Dear Susan. This is beautiful. Can I share this with a wider audience on my Facebook page- Children of Alcoholic Parents worldwide - CAP-W
(https://www.facebook.com/capworldwide) giving credits to you.

Thanks and regards
CAP-W

Susan Ward said...

Thank you so much. I had forgotten this post but was pleased when I wrote it. Please do share it with the wider audience you have on Facebook - Children of Alcoholic Parents. Thank you in advance for giving credits to me. I have worked with and been supported by many in 12 Step Programs. Thank you for all the good work your organization does!
Susan