Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2016

How Can I?




How can I respect?

Behaviour 
   Irrational or rude
      Annoying or mushy
        Aggressive or violent

When the child that was
    has been lost 
      in an emotional and chemical vortex.

Sweetness and love ~
  vanished as though never there.
    Addiction to alcohol or drugs a catalytic converter.

“Respect must be earned”
     An old adage learned at an adult’s knee

What if respect once earned 
     is torn and tattered,
        frayed and ragged

How can I respect?
    An individual heart and soul is not lost
        merely trapped 
          in need of peace, calm and kindness.

To see life reborn
   Baby steps being taken 
      Eyes shining again
Self-respect regained deserves anyone’s respect.

“I never meet a ragged boy in the street without feeling 
that I may owe him a salute, for I know not what 
possibilities may be buttoned up under his coat.”
~ James A. Garfield

No comments: