Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Approaching the Dragon's Tail

Women have come so far in the work world.

In the 60’s, there were limited choices for us.
Nursing was one of those choices.

High school completed, it was time to step out in the world.
Staying in the world I had come to know with
a good book
my family
my community
would have been comfortable - temporarily.

My memories are misty about 
my participation in the decision 
to pack my suitcase and 
go to the big city 
where I would spend 
the next three years
learning the details of nursing.

My sister Janet, just two years older than I,
a shining advance party into a nursing career,
graduated with her black band the same year I
entered the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing.

Nursing school in 1965 was
three years in length, had been
exciting 
gross 
routine 
mundane 
technical
frightening
with many hidden learning curves.

The Dragon’s Tail, 
an eleven mile piece of highway 
with three hundred and eighteen curves 
has great potential for
danger
beauty and
challenges
for avid biker's that enjoy the open road.

With the enthusiasm of youth,
the life experience of almost eighteen years,
this small town prairie girl was about 
ride the Dragon’s Tail!

Nursing has proven to be
beautiful
challenging
with some potential for danger.
Constant learning changing procedures and protocols to navigate 
all the curves that continue to confront.

“The most beautiful things in the world cannot be 
seen or even touched, they must be felt by the heart.”
~   Helen Keller

No comments: