Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

An Understanding

I have avoided writing too often about my cat for two reasons. Mainly because talking about 


one's cat all the time is incredibly boring unless the listener is a cat person. But also 


because most of the day 

he sleeps unless he smells food 

or hears a cupboard door open. 

If it’s frozen beefsteak on the counter 


he will be reaching a paw up to said

counter as I prepare it. But I 

give him the ‘I’m the boss’ look and 

he backs down with a look of disgust ~ 


if cats know what a look of disgust is. 

Even if I just walk in the kitchen, he 

may have seemed sound asleep, but 

he must have some kind of feline GPS 


that pings in his head, rousing him long 

enough to stare at me or at least investigate 

the potential. It’s not as though he never gets 

fed although he seems to believe that he is 


entitled to food whether hungry or not. 

Don’t get me wrong, he is a good cat, 

a great companion and, all in all,

we do have an understanding.


“Cats have no guilt and very little shame.”

~ Ursula K. Le Guin,  No time to Spare: Thinking about What Matters

 

No comments: