Pages

Monday, February 13, 2017

A Twin Surprise!


An exercise on developing dialogue, this piece started with the first line: “Are you kidding me? We’re not ‘fine’!”

                       *****

A Twin Surprise

“Are you kidding me? We’re not ‘fine’!”

“Oh heavens, we are right now. But in a few minutes, we are going to be having fun!”

“Well right now, we’re not fine or having fun. Standing in line is neither. And it’s hot and noisy. Can’t we just go and have something to eat. I’m hungry.”

“Trust me, you don’t want to eat first - I think...”

“Why don’t you tell me what we’re going to do for this ‘fun’?”

“Because I don’t even know, silly. Mom and Dad just gave me this money, said it was for our next ride and told me what line to get in.”

“You know, I really love the midway, even if it is noisy and hot. It’s the music, all the delicious food smells and all the families having own fun. And of course the guys. Nobody I really want to know, just - Wow - good looking.”

“Come on, the line’s moving. We’ll lose our place if we don’t keep moving.”

“This line’s leaving the midway. Oh look! There’s a couple of thoroughbreds being saddled up. Do you think we could go over for a look at them after we’re finished here? I’ll wait to eat if I have to.”

“Oh! That’s where this line is going! We may not be riding in the ring, but…….those horses are amazing……we get to ride today!!!

“There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved.”
~ Charles Morgan

No comments: