Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Every Day

Every day I comb my hair, I wash my face, I take my pills…..
Dilantin - little white capsules with an orange band
Once upon a time taking pills every day was an annoyance 
~ that was after I had finally decided to make it part of my life
After the annoyance passed taking my pills was just like 
combing my hair or washing my face
I pushed aside an abundance of memories of 
the flatness before a seizure
the confusion after a seizure
the shame of having a seizure because
of forgetting to take little white capsules with the orange band.
of forgetting that triggers for a seizure are all around me
of believing that seizures won’t happen again
today those memories are as distant as my annoyance at taking
the little white capsules with the orange band every single day
Epilepsy is a part of me.

“Self-care is how you take your power back.”
~ Lalah, Delia

No comments: