Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2024

An Outlier

It troubles me when I learn of the travels of friends and family, or overhear a conversation in a coffee 

shop about the wonder and frustrations of a latest trip to Timbuktu or the Arctic Circle or some other far flung and exciting place. 


What troubles me is that I have no desire to travel ~ at least today, and maybe tomorrow but that can always change.


If there were the teleportation of 

Star Trek fame, I may consider it; 

but that is far in the future and 

probably not in what remains of 

my lifetime ~ which still has a 

couple of decades to go. However, 

technology, racing along like an 

uncontrolled teenager, may bring 

to life that fantasy. But by then, my 

already old bones will be a lot older 

and wouldn’t necessarily handle 

the molecular pin ball that 

teleportation seems to require. 


Regardless, I am content to enjoy 

my home without looking for the 

history of the world or taking photographs 

of buildings that lose their grandeur in 

a digital album. And of course, I will 

not miss the noisy bump and shuffle 

of airports and their waiting areas.


“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking 

new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”

~ Marcel Proust

No comments: