Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2024

An Outlier

It troubles me when I learn of the travels of friends and family, or overhear a conversation in a coffee 

shop about the wonder and frustrations of a latest trip to Timbuktu or the Arctic Circle or some other far flung and exciting place


What troubles me is that I have no desire to travel ~ at least today, and maybe tomorrow but that can always change.


If there were the teleportation of 

Star Trek fame, I may consider it; 

but that is far in the future and 

probably not in what remains of 

my lifetime which still has 

couple of decades to go. However, 

technology, racing along like an 

uncontrolled teenager, may bring 

to life that fantasy. But by then, my 

already old bones will be a lot older 

and wouldn’t necessarily handle 

the molecular pin ball that 

teleportation seems to require. 


Regardless, I am content to enjoy 

my home without looking for the 

history of the world or taking photographs 

of buildings that lose their grandeur in 

a digital album. And of course, I will 

not miss the noisy bump and shuffle 

of airports and their waiting areas.


“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking 

new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”

~ Marcel Proust

No comments: