Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2024

Waiting

Wisdom does not wait for anyone to get  it. “Older and wiser” is the saying.  Still we don’t get it no matter how old we get. 


We just have more life experience and that assumes that we have figured out the 

meaning of all our mistakes and glory 


of our achievements. There might be meaning gleaned from our mistakes if we ignored being ashamed that we weren’t 


perfect. But then we’d have to admit to 

being human and where would that 

get us. And then there is glory. There 


might be a burst of excitement when 

an exam is aced, or when some obstacle 

is overcome. There might even be 


someone patting us on the back to tell us 

how great we are, how far we’ve come. 

But none of that is wisdom. In fact, I’m 


not sure I could even draw a picture of 

wisdom. I never was good at drawing faces, 

but I think that my grandparents or anyone 


much older than me may have been wise. 

But then they had to grow up too, so maybe 

they didn’t know what wisdom was either. 


So I’ll just accept the ‘older and wiser’ saying 

and wait till I get older to learn more about it.


“Patience is the companion of wisdom.”

~ Saint Augustine

No comments: